Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Brown Sugar Teriyaki Steelhead Trout with Toasted Pecans

Yeah for the first day of summer!  Warm days, vacation plans and the inevitable need to get into a bathing suit again.  (deep sigh!)  Time to head back to the gym.
Naturally, I am trying to work out more this time of year. I won’t lie...it is so hard to make time most days.   My best opportunity is to use my lunch hour to pop over to the gym for a quick workout, but even that is a challenge to accomplish.  
I am trying to sneak in a little extra work out time in other places too - like Logan’s bath time.  While he plays with his bath toys I grab my arm weights (which I keep under the sink) and sneak in a few reps.  Logan helps me count.  Of course being barely 2 years-old his numbers tend to come out in random order.   I have no idea how many reps I am actually getting in, but I figure any number is 100 times more than what I was doing before , so it is all good.


In keeping with my new found quest to become bathing suit ready, I am trying to keep it lean and healthy at dinner time.  I am also trying to eat more seafood.  Tonight my healthy choice was steelhead trout baked in a super simple teriyaki and brown sugar glaze then finished with a few toasted pecans.  It was totally delish!


If you have never tried steelhead trout, it is a meaty fish that looks a lot salmon.  However the flavor of steelhead trout is milder than salmon.  It is also less oily and therefore has less omega 3 fatty-acids than salmon as well.  Give it a try and let me know what you think.



Brown Sugar Teriyaki Steelhead Trout with Toast Pecans
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
Makes: 4 entrees
  • 4 steelhead trout fillets (skin off)
  • 3/4 cup teriyaki sauce
  • 4 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup toasted pecans
  • tin foil

Preheat oven to 350º.
Tear off 4 sheets of tin foil, each approximately 12 inches long.  
Place 1 fillet on each piece of tin foil.  Top with each fillet with 3 tablespoons of teriyaki sauce and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar.  Pull two sides up of the tin foil together and roll closed.  Pull the other two sides up and roll closed to form a sealed packet.
Place the 4 sealed packets of fish on a baking sheet.  Bake for 20-25 minutes until fish is fully cooked.
While fish is cooking, place pecans on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, or until the color deepens and the nuts become fragrant. 
When fish are fully cooked remove from the foil packs and place on serving dishes.  Top with brown sugar teriyaki sauce to taste (from the foil packets) and toasted pecans.



No comments: